Thursday, June 20, 2013

Maltese Specialty Results

I am finally posting the results for the Maltese Specialty this year. 
I entered Joey twice. Once in Open A obedience and once in Rally Excellent B.
Our Obedience leg was a complete flop, which was really disappointing because I thought Joey was getting the hang of the Open class. Well, in this run he failed heeling, he wasn't even with me 5/6th of the time. Then he failed the dumbbell over the jump. Wouldn't even take the jump. Then he doesn't drop on the recall and walks on the broad jump both of which he has never done before. To say that I was frustrated and embarrassed was an understatement. The only things that keep me from giving Joey away is his perfect retrieve over the flat and stays. It was nice to know that Joey could do open stays. Needless to say though, we did not qualify in Open. Our Rally leg went much better. Joey was much more relaxed and in tune with me. We got a 99 and Qed. ( I lost a point because I didn't walk around Joey after getting the leash.) I think one of the reason Joey did so awful in Open was because he wasn't used to me not talking to him when he heels. When I talked to him in Rally he heeled perfectly fine. That's the bad thing about starting a career in Rally. You get used to talking while heeling. So since the Maltese Specialty, I've been practicing heeling in silence. I guess I'll see if it works in Mid-July when I have my next dog show.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Life With Joey by Noa Bender is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.